THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST. PEDROG (Fig. 61, plates 31, 32, 35, 36) stands near the beach at the W. of the village of Llanbedrog. It consists of chancel and nave separated by an early 16th-century screen. There is no structural division inside but on the outside there are junctions which indicate that the nave is older than the chancel: the one may be of the 13th century, when the church is first mentioned;1 the other is probably of the early 16th century, contemporary with the screen (see under Fittings). Both parts are built of uncoursed rubble, with longer stones to W. of the junctions on the N. and S. and also at the E. quoins. The N. wall has been much rebuilt
on the old base. The church was repaired in 1827, as recorded on a tablet in the tower, and restored in 1865, the
date of a tablet at the top of the W. gable denoting reconstruction of the wall tops and the roof. All the windows have been renewed or enlarged and also the S. doorway. The tower containing porch and belfry was added in 1895.
Rhannwch - Share and Enjoy