At about 330 ft. above a.D. on the brow of the steep N.W. scarp of Mynydd Tir-y-cwmwd. The only visible stone is a partly buried recumbent slab 11 ft 9 ins. long from N.W. to S.E. by 4 ft. 8 ins. wide near the S.E. end, tapering to a blunt point at the N.W.; it is at least 1 ft. 6 ins thick. This represents about two-thirds of the capstone recorded in 1900 1 as being 12 ft. 6ins.long by 7 ft. 6 ins. wide, averaging from 1 ft. to 2 ft. thick, with one support lying underneath it. Recent growth and dumping of rubbish have obscured this support, as well as another large stone 7 ft. to the S. and the smaller part of the capstone, now apparently about 2 ft. removed to the N.E. of the visible part. The cromlech was thrown down ca.1850.2 In 1847 it had been recorded as ‘Carreg-y-Cromlech; although fallen and one of the supporters removed’, it still had ‘the appearance of having been onc’.3 There is no certain trace of a cairn; a slight mound 18 yds. at 2900 from the capstone may be due to recent rubbish dumping. Daniel, p.194,where it is described as being ‘on the farm of Hendy’,following refs. 1 and 2 below.
Condition: Almost destroyed
17 xii 6r
45 N.W. Unnoted
Ref 1- E.Griffith, A Portfolio of photographs of the Cromlechs of Allglesey alld Camarvol1shire (Bangor, 1900), entitled ‘Mynydd Tir Cwml11wd’.
2 – Cambrian joumal.,1857,p.205.
3 – Arch.Camb.,1847,p.99.
Rhannwch - Share and Enjoy