House of two storeys and attic, with added wing at back, probably of the late 17th century and 18th century respectively;l (ii) to the N. of it, neighbouring cottage with half-loft, probably of the late 17th or early 18th century. (i) The house is built of random rubble with large quoin stones (except the W. end of the added wing recently reconstructed). The roof of the main block is covered with modern slates; that of the back wing is still covered with small coarse slates. On the E. front the entrance doorway appears to be original, but the lower windows have been enlarged and the upper heightened with the raising of the eaves. On the W. front are two blocked doorways with rough stone heads, that to the S. probably belonging to the original cross-passage; the other, now reduced to a window, was possibly intended for a back wing wider than the present, which is placed so as to leave clear the landing window of the stairs almost over this doorway. The old windows here and at the S. gable have rough stone heads and are a little taller than broad, indicating a date not before the late 17th century. The chimney stacks on the gables are rectangular, short and slate-capped. On the ground floor, the screen or partition S. of the entrance is original; it is of in-and-out boards about r2 ins. wide, and contained a doorway which has been closed. Later, a service-passage along the W. wall of the original block was cut off by a partition of plain boards; this retains the plaster work of the S. room with its alcove, which has a shallow arch of 18th-century style. The stair is plain, but may also be of this date. The partition N. of the entrance is probably modern . The original chamfered ceiling beams are concealed by later plaster except in the service-passage .The fireplaces and the first floor have been modernised, and the roof reconstructed. The back, or kitchen, wing communicates with the service passage through a roughly made doorway in the common wall. Its windows, including a semi-dormer on the N., are like those still unaltered in the main block. At the ground floor the ceiling beam is roughly chamfered and stopped;there was till recently a very wide fireplace, now reduced. The roof timbers, now partly ceiled in, have large rough principals and are said to have pegged collars. (ii) The N. and smaller house, which faces the back wing of the larger, is built of roughly coursed rubble and white-washed. Its roof is covered with small coarse slates. The windows are small and nearly square, including an upper one at the E. for the half-loft; with the doorway they have rough stone heads outside, timber lintels inside. There is a doorway to the former half-loft from higher ground on the N. The interior is divided by a modern partition E. of the entrance. The W. room was always open to the roof; the fireplace has a timber bressummer, cambered and chamfered. There is a step up to the E. room, which has contained a churn or mill operated by an overshot water-wheel outside the E. wall. The floor of the half-loft above has gone, and the two roof trusses are modern. The outbuildings on higher ground further N. appear to have been contemporary with the houses, but have been much repaired and altered.

Ty Newydd

Condition: good, slightly altered
8 vii 58
1 – Owen Lloyd of Tynewydd, 1642-1729, is commemorated on a grave slab in Llannor churchyard together with his descendant Richard Lloyd and others. Hyde Hall (p. 279) later describes Tynewydd as a farmhouse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Optionally add an image (JPEG only)